Friday, May 05, 2006

Live-action movie vs Anime

I watched the Initial D live-action movie and all I can say is that I was really disappointed in it... Actually, I couldn't find one with English subtitles, or any subtitles at all, so I couldn't understand a lot of what they were saying. I understood what I could with their body language and what little I knew of Cantonese.

The cars were cool. When I realized that there weren't any subtitles I decided to just watch the cars and races, because, frankly, you don't really need to hear any words when watching a race. The cars seemed bigger in the anime though. The Skyline in the movie seemed smaller than what I imagined it would be. And the FC seemed shorter as well.

But I'll go back to ranting. One thing that really ticked me off was their portrayal of the team Emperor and Kyouichi particularly. Basically they're my favorite team so the errors got me more wound up than the other misrepresentations. Emperor was so flashy in the movie! All of them have leather jackets and bandanas, heck I don't even remember ever seeing Kyouichi wear a leather jacket once in the anime! And before his(Kyouichi's) race with Ryousuke and Takumi, another error, they brought his Evo in a big, practically neon-lighted _-wheel truck! *blanches at the thought* But what really got me ticked off about it was Kyouichi got into an accident! I could rant paragraphs about that being practically impossible, but won't bother. If you've either watched the Second Stage or read the manga, you'd know that an accident like going through the guardrail and landing upside down on the road lower down the mountain is not something that would happen to Kyouichi anytime soon.

And speaking of mountains, Akina is the only course throughout the entire movie. Wow, it seems that there's only one place to race...

Not only that, Keisuke and Nakazato are combined to make a Nakazato that is very close to Ryousuke, but fortunately is still the leader of the Night Kids and still drives a Skyline. Although I wanted to see an FD, but, oh well. And Iketani and Itsuki are combined to make an Itsuki, who is the leader of the still low-lovel Akina SpeedStars who crashes during a race against Nakazato and is the son of Yuichi of the Esso Gas Station, making a loud spoiled brat. Although the voice would suit Itsuki. And Kenji doesn't appear.

The heck with Jay Chou, Edison Chen and rest of the cast. I have made my verdict. The Anime is better, ten-fold. At least it is accurate!

And I know this isn't really part of the movie, but when I visited the site (http://www.initialdthemovie.com/index_en.html) the game on it has one HUGE error. They say these roads are from Beijing, or Shanghai, or somewhere else in China. But when I examined the map before playing I realized that they were just using the original courses from the anime. If I remember it had Usui, Happogahara(I don't know why they used this one), Akagi, Akina, and Myogi(I think). Asian Box Office, bah!

Mood- Irritated       Song- Non Stop Re-mix [Project.D Version]- Initial D- Fourth Stage D Selection Plus

0 pokes: